What’s so secret that the public can’t see it?

The College Fix reports.

American University bans filming of Black Lives Matter co-founder as she promotes filming cops

ANALYSIS

Black Lives Matter co-founder Patrisse Cullors started a movement with a hashtag, and she praises technology for BLM’s rise.

She’s even developing a new social-media platform so the movement isn’t reliant on Twitter.

Yet students’ own technology was restricted during an American University event Wednesday night where Cullors addressed hundreds of students in a packed room.

The Kennedy Political Union, the student organization that hosted the event, imposed a no-filming rule after explicitly inviting “student media” to cover Cullors’ speech and even reserving seats for reporters.

When I asked about filming at the event and pointed out that I’m an AU student, the club warned me in a Facebook message: “You will not be able to film the event.”

They weren’t kidding: Waiting to enter the room, the girl in front of me with a DSLR camera was ordered to put it in her backpack as a condition of attending Cullors’ talk.

Organizers may have had reason to fear that a moment from Cullors’ talk would go viral. In her opening remarks, Cullors addressed a rumor that activists who disagree with her may be present among the crowd.

A permeable tension set over the room as Cullors drew attention to the potential for dissenters, but she explained that she would encourage those people to speak out in Q&A.

It turned out none of them did, despite the presence of several conservative activists in the room.

I was called on for the final question of Q&A, which ended with several students waiting to speak, and asked how technology fits into the vision of BLM, particularly around interactions with police.

“Yes, everybody should be filming the police,” Cullors responded, elaborating that technology is a part of her vision for the BLM movement.

0 

0