We reported that Harvard University was one of 5 Massachusetts institutions under federal investigation for its mishandling of sex assault cases.

Now, its students are expressing their unhappiness with the school’s handling of these cases in a graduation protest.

[Photographer: John Lauerman/Bloomberg]

Dozens of Harvard University seniors marked their graduation caps with red tape in support of victims of sexual assault and to protest the school’s response to campus attacks.

Students put a stripe of crimson tape on the edge of their mortarboards at the school’s 363rd commencement today in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Harvard, the oldest and richest U.S. college, has come under increasing criticism from students saying that programs to prevent sexual assault are inadequate and not enough is being done so that victims can continue their studies. While President Drew Faust has appointed a task force to study the issue, student voices haven’t been heard in the effort to create policy, said Kate Sim, a graduating senior who helped found Our Harvard Can Do Better, a victims’ advocacy group.

“I would like to see more than task forces,” Sim said in an interview. “Policy change is a long process, but I would like to see students more integrated into the change-making progress.”

A group of undergraduates filed a complaint with the U.S. Education Department’s Office for Civil Rights alleging that Harvard’s undergraduate college, failed to comply with Title IX, which bars schools from gender-based discrimination. Insufficient response to sexual assault is a violation of the rule.

0 

0