Blaming capitalism? Gee, where did these kids get that idea?

Jennifer Kabbany of The College Fix reports.

Anti-War College Protestors Blame Capitalism, American Imperialism for Possible Strike on Syria

Students at universities across the nation this week have come out against President Barack Obama’s plans to bomb Syria, and many largely blame capitalism and American “imperialism” as motives behind the possible U.S. military strike.

Protestors have likened the current president to George W. Bush, called America imperialistic and war hungry, and demanded socialism as the ultimate solution, as examples. Some also argued supporting the Al-Qaida-linked Syrian rebels would put America and its terrorist network nemesis on the same side.

“Syria is not a threat to the national security of the U.S. or its allies in the Middle East,” student Elias Deeb, who organized a protest at Brown University this week, told USA Today.

The Rhode Island anti-war rally included drum beats and signs, plus an image of President George W. Bush next to Obama’s face with the phrase: The Same Big Lie, USA Today reports.

At UC Berkeley, a pro-socialism student group this week took a stand against U.S. military intervention in the Syrian civil war, according to The Daily Californian.

“The only way to fight against this is to overthrow the entire system,” Joseph Scalice, a doctoral student at UC Berkeley, told the campus newspaper. “We’re calling for a socialist revolution.”

Capitalism was also blamed for the Syria situation at a rally Tuesday organized by the same pro-socialism student group, International Youth and Students for Social Equality, at San Diego State University.

“This is something that by our analysis really comes down to a crisis of capitalism,” IYSSE member Clodomiro Puentes said at the protest, according to The Daily Aztec. “This is not something that’s driven by any kind of principled opposition to human rights, it’s entirely driven by geostrategic interests behind Syria’s stance (in) Iran, behind Iran’s stance China and Russia, which are key economic rivals to the U.S.”

0 

0