There has been an outpouring of community support for the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in the wake of the Boston Marathon bombing.

Joanna Kao, contributing editor of the MIT student newspaper The Tech, has a report on the donations the school has received toward recovery efforts and memorial events:

Monday’s marathon bombings took a heavy emotional toll on MIT. While no students or faculty at MIT were physically injured at by the attack, the stories that have since emerged show that the bombings have still deeply hurt many in the MIT community. But through the tragedy, we’ve seen the Institute’s strength through stories of inspiration, hope, and community.

Many from MIT were friends, sons, or neighbors of the victims of the explosion that killed three people and injured over 170. Others rushed to the scene in the face of danger or opened up their homes to strangers in need. Since Monday, the community has pulled together to support victims in significant, meaningful, and varied ways.

“The Richards had not asked for help, but a lot of people had asked how they could help the Richards,” Peterson said. “There’s nothing that people can do or give that will bring Martin back, but there are things that people can do or help the rest of the family make sure that they don’t have other things to worry about, that they can help smooth what is going to be a long, hard road for the family.”

Peterson sent an email to a circle of friends shortly before 11 a.m. yesterday, and in less than 90 minutes, they raised nearly $12,000. As of press time today, they have raised over $47,500.

“It’s more important that you give than to whom you give. But if you were struck by [Richard’s] story, if you want to help, you can go and donate. And the most important thing is that you remember what Martin wrote on that poster that everyone’s seen, which is just to stop hurting people. Because that would be the best way to remember him,” Peterson said.

“Anything we can do to make your life easier?”

In the past two days, the community has gathered to support two of its own — Richard T. Whalley, whose parents are both in the ICU, and Chris Peterson G, a close friend of Martin Richard, the 8-year-old who was killed by the explosion on Monday.

Peterson found immediate support from his classmates, colleagues, and administrators. “I was immediately contacted by someone from the Office of the Dean of Graduate Education and by faculty members and administrators, who were basically like, what do you need, do you need anything, is there anything we can do to make your life easier. And that’s been really wonderful,” Peterson said.

0 

0