When it comes to the free expression of ideas does the interest in diversity seem to retreat.

Accuracy In Academia reports.

Colleges Are All For Diversity — Except When It Comes To Ideas

ALEXANDRIA, VA — When it comes to “diversity,” American colleges and universities are eager to embrace differences in race, ethnic background, religion, and sexual orientation — as well they should. Only when it comes to the free expression of ideas does the interest in diversity seem to retreat. Universities used to believe in the philosophy expressed by Voltaire that even the most offensive ideas deserve a hearing. Now, if ideas are unpopular, they are unwelcome. Students at Williams College recently invited John Derbyshire, a controversial journalist who opposes immigration and has been charged with nativism, to speak. The college president, Adam Falk, disinvited him.

Earlier, in October, Falk wrote in the student newspaper that, “Whatever our own views may be, we should be active in bringing to campus speakers whose opinions are different from our own.” Now, he finds that censoring speech with which he disagrees is acceptable. On the Williams College website, he now says, “We have said that we wouldn’t cancel speakers or prevent the expression of views except in the most extreme circumstances, but there’s a line somewhere and Derbyshire, in my opinion, is on the other side of it.”

0 

0