If you were looking for yet another reason to weep for humanity today, here you go.

From the Wall Street Journal:

University Hits Pause on Kiss Cam in Stadium

Syracuse University has put the kiss cam in the deepfreeze.

A long tradition at sporting events across the country, the kiss cam projects the image of two people sitting next to each other in the stands on the stadium scoreboard—often inside a heart—and holds the shot until they kiss.

Earlier this month, a man who attended a Syracuse football game wrote a letter to the editor of a local newspaper, saying the kiss cam encourages male entitlement and sexual assault. Since then: no kiss cam at the Carrier Dome.

The debate on campus has been heated. An online poll in the Daily Orange, the student newspaper, reported nearly six in 10 respondents said the kiss cam should continue to operate unchanged. One in seven said it should be banned, and the remainder thought it should continue to operate, but not in the student section.

Mara Corbett, editor in chief of the Daily Orange, helped pen an editorial saying the kiss cam should be banned from the student section.

“We thought it was fine in some parts of the stadium but it shouldn’t be used in the student section where relationships can be a lot less clear, and it can create some really awkward and embarrassing moments,” she said.

0 

0