The University of Manitoba’s student paper chose to publish the photo with Mohammad along with a message to defend free speech from radical Islam.  Tufts didn’t get it. Greg Piper from College Fix reported.

Canadian student paper publishes Mohammad, Tufts calls satire ‘dangerous’

Much like plutonium in a DeLorean, the Charlie Hebdo massacre has apparently created an alternate universe wherein Canadian student media show more balls than their American counterparts (I would have expected hoverboards sooner).

The editorial board of The Manitoban, at the University of Manitoba, published the infamous “Charia Hebdo” cover from the French satirical journal and issued a clarion call to defend free speech against “radical Islam”:

Whether or not you agree with the content of the satirical cartoons in Charlie Hebdo (an equal opportunity offender that has also lambasted the Pope and numerous French politicians), so long as you believe in the rule of law and the principles of liberal democracy, you must stand in solidarity with the newspaper.

The student journalists take down the CBC’s top editor for comparing cartoons to dead bodies that no responsible outlet would show:

Equivocating between images of dead bodies and satirical cartoons is, of course, absurd. The refusal to publish the Charlie Hebdo material betrays the true motivation behind such mass self-censorship, which is the stark fear of violent retaliation. One hesitates to admonish these outlets with a platitude like “you’re letting the terrorists win,” but if the shoe fits, wear it.

The Manitoban could teach a thing or two to the confused young scribes at The Tufts Daily, who apparently disagree with their president that the answer to bad speech is more speech (sound familiar?):

Free speech is enshrined by law and is a central tenet of democracy. However, it is up to the individual to be aware of the broader meaning of what he or she is saying. Charlie Hebdo published racist cartoons. Is it technically acceptable to publish offensive and bigoted content, even through satire?

0 

0