As the world is falling apart and all hell is breaking loose in the Middle East, no less.

Michael Cipriano of the College Fix reports.

College Student Argues America Should ‘Get Over’ 9/11 – Here’s Why He’s Wrong

We as a nation should “get over” the Sept. 11 terrorists attacks because there are bigger atrocities in this country – like the gender pay gap and white cops shooting black perpetrators.

That was the train of logic offered by a University of Wyoming student recently, who in an op-ed in the school’s student-run newspaper, The Branding Iron, bemoaned what he called all those annoying tributes that pop up in mid-September, like – gasp – American flags put up in lawns and the “blaring” of Lee Greenwood’s “Proud to be an American.”

“But what exactly is being celebrated here?” this undergrad continued. “How is this infectious patriotism honoring anybody as it gets shoved down our throats?”

“Contrary to popular belief, America is not the best country in the world,” he adds. “Acting like it is and boosting our egos at the expense of several thousand lives is downright disgusting.”

“We live in a country where unarmed people of color are shot to death without justification. This same country still struggles with paying women a fair wage. All the while, we neglect to give our children an internationally competitive education. The list of injustices goes on and on, and yet we band together and celebrate our country at a time when pride is the least justifiable reaction.”

Let’s set aside from a moment the callous way in which he speaks of the nearly 3,000 Americans who lost their lives in the terrorist attack – calling honoring their deaths each year “infections” and “disgusting.” And nevermind the hundreds of first responders who died, or the 1,300 children left as orphans.

He actually suggests this tragedy pales in comparison to the gender wage gap, which claims women make 77 cents for every dollar that men make. It’s a popular belief that’s been massively debunked.

0 

1