It almost seems like no one read this bill before it was rushed into law.

Every problem that comes up is a surprise.

Greg Piper reports at the College Fix.

Obamacare’s Latest Victims: Student Journalists, Campus Accountability

The rollout of the Affordable Care Act has been anything but straightforward. From President Obama’s “lie of the year” award for his claim that people could keep health plans they liked, to numerous delays applied to parts of the law that aren’t ready for prime time, Obamacare has caught ordinary Americans off guard repeatedly.

Who knew that student journalists would be the next group to face the law’s poorly written regulations?

The Student Press Law Center’s latest magazine looks in depth at the possible predicament that paid reporters and editors at campus publications could find themselves in:

Student journalists typically don’t punch a time clock. They report, write, edit, design, proof, publish and promote their work on weekends, nights that stretch into mornings and in between classes.

Now, many are being asked to account for their hours. The changes are coming as employers begin implementing the Affordable Care Act and have the potential to upend the way newsrooms operate and how student journalists approach running out the door to cover end-of-the-week breaking news.

Schools don’t want to provide these would-be Woodwards with health insurance, so they need to keep their weekly working hours under 30.

Because there’s no general exception for student employees under Obamacare, student journalists are stuck in regulatory limbo:

Student journalists are part of a niche category of employees: workers often paid by stipend who don’t track their sporadic hours and whose jobs aligns closely with their education. …

Paid student journalists aren’t generally classified as part of a work-study program, [which are exempted, health-benefits attorney Rachel] Arnedt said, but they also aren’t categorized as volunteers, unpaid interns or seasonal workers.

0 

0