New media is transforming to not only professional news services, but those on campus as well.

In light of its first year as a money loser, the editors of a student newspaper at one school are ending the daily edition.

The Columbia Daily Spectator, the student newspaper distributed daily at Columbia University and in surrounding Morningside Heights, plans to switch to a weekly edition starting in the fall, editor-in-chief Abby Abrams told staff earlier this evening. Moving forward with the decision requires the approval of the newspaper’s board of directors, which is scheduled to vote on the matter later this week.

“For next semester, we are going to go web-first and move to a print schedule that involves a once-weekly print product,” Abrams told Capital. “We think that moving to this schedule will allow all our writers and editors to produce the best content possible.”

Assuming it is approved, the plan is to take effect in the fall, when the print edition—which Abrams said will contain a “mix of daily content and in-depth content”—will only be published on Thursdays. The website would be updated every day, throughout the day.

With this decision, Columbia University would become the only Ivy League school without a daily student-run print newspaper.

The Spectator already publishes a print weekly—a magazine called The Eye—which is currently distributed on Thursdays. Abrams said a final decision had not yet been made about how The Eye will be integrated with the weekly Spectator. They will not each publish separate editions in print on Thursdays, at any rate, but whatever happens, The Eye will continue to have its own identity online.

The Spectator’s board of trustees will vote on the strategy later this week.

0 

0