Social media is a cornerstone in student interactions on campuses nationwide, to the point one college now offers it as a major.

The College Fix Assistant Editor Jennifer Kabbany tracked a recent Facebook discussion that started when one student complained about her professor’s derogatory references to the Bile.

A New York University student’s Facebook post that her professor frequently referred to the Bible as a “Book of Spells” and “The Original Harry Potter” sparked a feisty debate among the NYU community, a back and forth that played out publicly on the social media website…

A student secret posted on the site Dec. 21 was that their “ConWest teacher freshman year for ‘antiquity and the 19th century’ referred to the Bible as a ‘Book of Spells’ and ‘The Original Harry Potter’ regularly when he would use it as a piece of the lecture. I am not even that religious, but found it so disgusting and disrespectful that I had no choice but to file a complaint. He no longer teaches classes at NYU.”

The comment prompted about four dozen responses, many of them using harsh and accusatory tones against the student who lodged the complaint. The responses led to an opinion column in the university’s student newspaper calling for more civility on the secrets Facebook site.

Some of the comments supported the complaints against the anti-Bible remarks.

“I’m a pretty hardcore atheist, but even I think (the original poster) was correct in doing what s/he did,” one response stated. “A professor should never use his or her position of power to proselytize. No one was learning anything by the professor insulting the Bible. It’s completely irrelevant and unprofessional.”

Some offered critiques of the criticism.

“As someone with an immense respect for many different modes and channels of religious faith, I certainly empathize with those who feel awkward when their beliefs are demeaned in a classroom setting,” one responder noted. “However, when examined through science, most scripture is fantastical and ludicrous. While not politically correct, comparing the Bible, Qu’ran, Haggadah, even (and especially) the Gita, etc., to fiction novels can be an apt critique of exactly what we are taught by the scriptures we follow, sometimes a bit blindly.”

It seems that the instructor in question was fired after the complaint originally posted in Facebook. So, some of the dialog was a debated whether the complaint got the professor fired.

… “who knows if your complaint aided in his firing, but I’m pretty sure he likely had other complaints befall him in order to get sacked. … I’ve seen my fair share of bad teachers and wrote them harsh critiques on their evaluations, yet they still continue to teach.”

0 

0